Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Drummers, the Twist, yoga, and Tai Chi



Today, I woke up at 6:45am, was ready by 7:30, relaxed until 7:55 and headed downstairs for breakfast. Today was the first day of the Women's Conference that I am filming. My breakfast consisted of eggs, toast, potatoes, and a variety of fruit. The agenda said breakfast was from 7:30 until 8:30. I ate by myself at a round table with eight empty seats. At another round table next to mine another woman ate her breakfast, and at a table across the room two young girls ate. For a conference of sixty guests it was odd that only four people were eating breakfast. As soon as 8:30 hit, and the caterers were taking the plates and trays away, all the rest of the guests finally woke up and made their way for breakfast. The poor waitress was bombarded by the late comers who were angry that breakfast was no longer being served even though the agenda said the times. Being the nice (but annoyed) girl she is, she asked everyone what they wanted and had another buffet made.

I filmed a women's drum circle, but the weather was bad, so only one woman showed up. I then filmed an elder tell us how Jesus saved her from a life of alcohol and bingo. Next up was a new age woman explaining how our seven chakras (energy points) of our body need to realize that our auras become more pleasant if we meditate and relax our minds. There was an exercise where she gathered volunteers from the crowd and measured their aura with a bent twig (known to her as her aura reader). As she walked towards each woman, her twig would start spinning and then she would stop letting them know how many feet their aura extends from their bodies. After that the Grand Chief Stan Beardy told a story about his mother, and then we all ate lunch.

I thought I grabbed a cheese sandwich, but it turned out to be egg salad, so I gave it to Tanner, a boy who is helping me film the conference. Tanner is the camera guy for a hunting show in the Yukon. He seems all right. After lunch a woman turned on her jam box and all the ladies got on stage and did the Twist. That was really weird and random. When the song ended another speaker approached the stage talking about the importance of volunteering in your community. It was boring so I wandered upstairs and filmed a yoga class. It was funny to see them attempt the positions. After interviewing the instructor, I went back downstairs where Master Phueng was teaching Tai Chi. Once he finished, I went to my room and watched Oprah.

It's now 8:30pm and I think i'll go downstairs to eat some dinner. I've decided that i'd like to save up my money and go on a holiday with Robbie. Any suggestions of a cool city or cheap but nice place to go?

1 comment:

  1. I suggest road trip to the Grand Canyon, San Diego, or in Oregon to the coast.

    ReplyDelete