Saturday, January 10, 2009

A New Year

Hello and welcome to the creative world of me, K. Alexander.

I'm 26 years old and currently reside in Vancouver, BC.  I came from Edmonton 4 years ago to be a filmmaker. My dad insisted that in order to be anything, you need a piece of paper to prove it. So even with all the books I read and workshops I attended, I decided to go to British Columbia's Institute of Technology to learn what I already knew.  The good thing about attending BCIT was that included in the tuition fee was  a Panasonic DVX100 A camera, Final Cut Pro editing software, wireless mics, and audio engineering software. The bad thing about attending BCIT was that it left me with a $27,000.00 loan that won't be paid off for another eleven years and I left my 2 friends along with our old rock band "Electric Skull Expansion and the Accidental Music Project". 

That was 4 years ago. Since then i've made more friends, worked several odd jobs, and have created many adventures for myself (some not intentionally).

I'm very expressive, but not necessarily through conversation or words. In fact I'm kind of a shy girl. I express myself through songs and writings.
After giving my friend Ba a badly recorded CD of my songs she decided to help me make this blog in order to share my creations with others.

So without further delays, I will recap for you what 2008 brought for me.

2008

January 1st, 2008, began with a pancake breakfast at IHOP with Mr. R. Bohncke. We were both disappointed, not with the food, but the fact that my ice tea cost 3.99. I haven't been back.
February 14th, 2008, R. Bohncke fixed up an old Raleigh bicycle for me, and I went to Seattle for the first time. We stayed downtown at the Moore hotel, went to see a metal band, and ate hot dogs and drank shots at the Coney Island bar where all the old pin ball machines were converted into tables. 
March 24th, 2008, I quit my job as an anime subtitler. I miss watching those cute, annoying, sexless, Japanese characters and matching their lip movements to their words, but it wasn't for me. It was never for me really, but I enjoyed doing it while I was there. 
April 12, 2008, I became a latte artist. No this isn't just another name for barista, I actually had to learn how to make artwork out of latte foam and espresso. I wasn't as good as some of my coworkers, but it was fun. Unfortunately I had to quit because the 16 hours a week they offered couldn't pay my rent. I still get the urge from time to time when I'm at a cafe to grab the pitcher out of the barista's hand and show them how to make a heart or a rosebud!
May 24th, 2008, I got my current job working in a deli at the Santa Barbara Market. Even though I refrain from eating a lot of meat, I like the people I work with and there are no uniforms. We listen to the radio, give attitude to old people and it's very hard to get fired (unless you're cutting prosciutto on a meat slicer while drunk).
June, 2008, I rode my bike everyday, became healthier after quitting smoking, and did a lot of reading. I read "Lovely Bones" (I forget the author), "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey, and finally finished "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Kurt Vonnegut.
July, 2008, I finally finished recording a CD with my old band ESE and the AMP after 4 years in the making! I also realized that the time had come for me to leave the house I was living in and find new accommodations. I wasn't really fond of living in a "Vancouver special" with no character in the suburbs far away from every place I hung out at. 
August, 2008, I moved in with Mr. R. Bohncke in the East end of the city. It's a tight squeeze but liberating as well. I'm not a party animal, but it's nice to not have roommates and neighbors complain when you're having a good time with friends. This was the month of good parties, and good opportunities. I was hired by My-TV to film the entertainment at the North American Indigenous Games in the Cowichan Valley, I witnessed a stunning performance by Radiohead at the Thunderbird Stadium even though I was very sick and I danced to !!! at Richards on Richards. 
September, 2008, my uncle Ted passed away. He wasn't really my uncle, but I called him that anyway. He had a tumor at the top of his stomach causing it to burn when food would land on it. He was from Croatia and one of the most interesting people I knew. His life would make a great movie.
October 2008, I started a new band called "Ramona Quimby", my friend Katie and I permanently stunk up my kitchen with a batch of "special" brownies. It was our first time making them (and they were good). I dressed up as Amy Winehouse for Halloween with Mr. R. Bohncke as Hulk Hogan. 
November 3, 2008, I turned 26 years old and was treated to cake, a lychee martini, rubber boots, and a beer on a mountain.
December 2o, 2008 I bid farewell to my friend Sara who moved to Costa Rica to start a beauty camp, My new band played our first show and it rocked, I witnessed the worst weather ever bestowed upon the city, and Mr. R. Bohncke and I went to visit my parents for Christmas in Edmonton. 

In 2008, I was told that I was too nice to people and that it's going to be my downfall. After thinking this over I decided that there's nothing wrong with being too nice, and that i'd rather be known for being nice then for being mean any day.

K.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment